Visited on: 17th July, 2016.
Thiruverkadu is situated at a distance of about 7 kms from Poonamallee on the Poonamallee to Avadi route. From Koyambedu Bus stand (Chennai) it is about 10 kms.
This temple is about 1 kilometre away from the popular Sri Devi Karumariamman temple.
Other Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams near this place are – Thiruvotriyur, Thiruvalithayam, Thirumullaivayil, Mylapore and Thiruvanmiyur.
Sri Vedapureeswarar, Sri Verkattu Nathar
Sri Balambikai, Sri Verkanni Ambal
Theertham (Holy water)
Velayutha Theertham, Veda Theertham
Sthala Vriksham (Sacred Tree)
Pathigam (Hymn) rendered by
- This is one of the 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and 23rd Shiva Sthalam in Thondai Nadu.
- Lord Shiva in this temple is a Swayambumurthi (self-manifested).
- This east facing temple has a 5-tiered main tower (Rajagopuram) and it has 3 corridors.
- The vimanam (roof tower) of the sanctum sanctorum has been constructed according to the Gaja Brishtam style of architecture.
- This is the birth place of Saint Moorka Nayanar, one of the 63 Nayanmars.
History of the Temple
This ancient temple is situated on the banks of river Paalaru and is believed to be more than 1300 years old. Based on the architecture of this temple, it can be inferred that it was built during the Chola period. The historical name of this place is Vada Vedaranyam.
This temple is under the administrative control of Sri Devi Karumariyamman Temple, Thiruverkadu.