Visited on: 15th September, 2018.
Thiruppayatrur is situated at a distance of about 11 kms from Thiruvarur on the Mayiladuthurai to Thiruvarur route. Take the diversion road from Kangalanchery -Nagore road. Reach Melapputhanur and then take the Thiru Marugal road to reach this temple. This temple is 5 kms away from Thiru Marugal.
Other Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams near this place are –
Thiru Virkudi, Thiru Chengattangudi, Thiru Marugal, Ramanatheecharam, Thiru Pukalur, Thiru Pukalur Varthamaneecharam and Thiru Chathamangai.
|Moolavar||Sri Payatra Nathar, Sri Payatreeswarar, Sri Mukthapureeswarar|
|Ambal||Sri Kaviyangkanni Ammai, Sri Nethrambigai|
|Theertham (Holy water)||Devi Theertham, Karuna theertham|
|Sthala Vriksham (Sacred Tree)||Silanthi tree|
|Pathigam (Hymn) rendered by||Saint Thirunavukarasar (Appar).|
- This is one of the 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and 78th Shiva Sthalam on the Southern bank of the river Cauveri in Chozha Nadu (Thenkarai).
- Lord Shiva in this temple is a Swayambumurthi (self-manifested).
- This east facing temple has a single corridor and its main tower does not have any tiers. In place of the Gopuram, there are beautiful sculptures depicting the “panchamoorthy” (Lord Shiva, Goddess Parvathy, Vinayakar Murugan and Ankarakan).
- This temple has no flag post (“Dwajasthambam”).
- The last consecration ceremony (Maha Kumbabishekam) took place on 06.06.2011 and prior to that on 20.08.1975.
History of the Temple
The historical name of this place is Thiruppayatrur but it is now known as Thiruppayathankudi.
There are some stone inscriptions in this temple which date back to the period of Chola King Rajarajan-II.
One of the stone inscriptions here narrates the story of a man named Panchanathavaanan. He was suffering from some eye diseases and he prayed to the lord for a cure. He was cured of his ailments. His family then donated some land to this temple.
This temple is under the administrative control of the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Department of Government of Tamil Nadu (HR&CE).