Visited on: March 31, 2018.
Sivapuram is situated at a distance of about 7 kms from Kumbakonam on the Kumbakonam -Sakkottai - Thiruvarur route. From Sakkottai, take the diversion road to Sivapuram. Sivapuram is at a distance about 2.5 kms from the Sakkottai “Velaanmai Virivakka Myam”.
Other Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams near this place are – Kalayanallur, Karukkudi, Kudavasal, Naraiyur Siddheecharam, Thirucherai, Arisirkarai Puthur, Penu Perunthurai, Thalaiyalangaadu, Peruvelur, Karaveeram, Nalur Mayanam, Kaduvaikarai Puthur (Andankoil) and Thiru Kollamputhur.
|Moolavar||Sri Sivagurunathar, Sri Sivapuranathar, Sri Brahmapurinathar|
|Ambal||Sri Singaravalli, Sri Aaryambal, Sri Periyanayaki|
|Theertham (Holy water)||Chandra Theertham and Surya Theertham|
|Sthala Vriksham (Sacred Tree)||Senbagam|
|Pathigam (Hymn) rendered by||Saint Thirugnanasambanthar and Saint Thirunavukarasar (Appar)|
- This is one of the 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and 67th Shiva Sthalam on the Southern bank of the river Cauveri in Chozha Nadu (Thenkarai).
- Lord Shiva in this temple is a Swayambumurthi (self-manifested).
- This is the only Shiva temple where devotees perform “Angapradakshinam”.
- This east facing temple has two corridors and its main tower (Rajagopuram) has 5-tiers.
- There is no flag post (dwajasthambam) here.
- Saint Manickavasakar has also rendered pathigam praising the lord here.
History of the Temple
This temple is under the administrative control of the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Department of Government of Tamil Nadu (HR&CE).