Visited on: March 31, 2018 and June 11, 2018.
Thirucherai is situated at a distance of about 15 kms from Kumbakonam on the Kumbakonam - Nachiyar Koil - Kudavasal route. It is about 5 kms from Nachiyar koil and 4 kms from Kudavasal.
Other Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams near this place are – Kudavasal, Nalur Mayanam, Kaduvaikarai Puthur (Andankoil), Thiru Kollamputhur, Penu Perunthurai, Naraiyur Siththecharam, Arisirkarai Puthur and Sivapuram.
The famous Vaishnava temple, Sri Saranatha Perumal, is also located in Thirucherai. This temple was praised by Saint Thirumangai Azwar in his hymn “Mangala Saasanam”.
|Moolavar||Sri Saraparameswarar, Sri Senneriyappar|
|Ambal||Sri Gnanambikai, Sri Gnanavalli Ammai|
|Theertham (Holy water)||Markandeya Theertham, Bindusudha Theertham, Gnana Theertham|
|Sthala Vriksham (Sacred Tree)||Mavilangai|
|Pathigam (Hymn) rendered by||Saint Thirugnanasambanthar-1,|
Saint Thirunavukarasar (Appar)-2
- This is one of the 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and 95th Shiva Sthalam on the Southern bank of the river Cauveri in Chozha Nadu (Thenkarai).
- Lord Shiva in this temple is a Swayambumurthi (self-manifested).
- This temple is very famous as a “Kadan Nivarthi Sthalam” (to remove indebtedness).
- This east facing temple has two corridors and its main tower (Rajagopuram) has 5-tiers.
- The last consecration ceremony (Maha Kumbabishekam) took place on 22.01.2018 and prior to that on 04.04.2004 and 18.03.1992.
History of the Temple
There are three famous “Rina Vimochana Lingeswarar” temples in the Devara Paadal Petra Sthalams. They are - Thiruvarur, Thirucherai (this temple) and Achalpuram.
This temple is situated at the southern bank of the river Mudikondan, a tributary of the river Cauvery.
There are two stone inscriptions in this temple which date back to the period of Chola King Kulothungan. It is believed that this temple was built by him.
This temple is also known as “Udayar Koil”.
This temple is under the administrative control of the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Department of Government of Tamil Nadu (HR&CE).