Visited on: 10th March, 2017
The temple is located in a place called Kizhur or Kizhaiyur in Thirukkoilure. Thirukkoilure is at a distance of about 40 kms from Thiruvannamalai and from Villupuram it is about 37 kms.
|Moolavar||Sri Veeratteswarar, Sri Andhakaanthakan|
|Ambal||Sri Sivananthavalli, Sri Periyanayagi|
|Theertham (Holy water)||Thenpennai river|
|Sthala Vriksham (Sacred Tree)||Vilvam and Sarakkontrai trees|
|Pathigam (Hymn) rendered by||Saint Thirugnanasambanthar, Saint Thirunavukarasar|
- This is one of the 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and 11th Shiva Sthalam in Nadu Naadu.
- Lord Shiva in this temple is a Swayambumurthi (self-manifested).
- This is one of the eight “Veerattana Sthalams” of Lord Shiva.
- In this temple Lord Shiva himself is a Bairavar.
- Both Moolavar and Ambal Shrines are facing west and are built as separate temples.
- Both temples’ main towers (Rajagopuram) have 3-tiers and 2 corridors each.
- Two of the 63 Nayanmars - Saint Meiporul Nayanar and Saint Narasinga Munaiarayar lived in this place.
- This is the birth place of the great Chola King Arunmozhith Devan, popularly known as Raja Raja Cholan; his mother Vaanavan Madevi and Adithya Karikalan.
History of the Temple
The temple is on the southern bank of Pennai river. The historical name of this place is “Andhakapuram”.